Kiwanis is a global organization of volunteers dedicated to improving the world one child and one community at a time. The Kiwanis family of clubs has over 700,000 adult and youth members in over 80 nations who participate in regular club meetings, service projects, and fundraising.
98 Years of Service - The Kiwanis Club of Raleigh was chartered in 1920. With about 200 members, we are one of the largest and oldest Kiwanis clubs in the world. For nearly a century, our club has been serving children of the local community and the world through many projects, including establishing the Kiwanis Park, building a Habitat for Humanity house, raising over $100,000 to help eliminate iodine deficiency disorders (IDD) worldwide, raising over $50,000 for a Kiwanis cabin at Victory Junction, raising over $110,000 for The Eliminate Project to eliminate maternal and neonatal tetanus (MNT) worldwide, and raising over $385,000 for our 2020 Centennial Parks Project. Additionally, our foundation gives annual grants to many local organizations to benefit children. In 2012, our club was inducted into the Raleigh Hall of Fame.
Built and renovated Kiwanis Park in Raleigh, NC.
Helped to start the Tammy Lynn Center.
Supported the Boys and Girls Club of Wake County with their new building.
Host the annual Boys and Girls Club Christmas Party.
Provided shoes for foster children.
Volunteer for various soup kitchens in Raleigh.
Gifted dictionaries to thousands of 3rd graders in Wake County.
Supply books for the Read and Feed program and Wake County Children's Libraries.
A Short History of the Kiwanis Club of Raleigh
Compiled by John C. Brantley, III on Behalf of the Kiwanis Centennial Committee from Archived Records of the Club and Its Members, January, 2015 and updated March, 2015.
Kiwanis International was founded in 1915, and the Kiwanis Club of Raleigh is one of the oldest clubs. The first organizational meeting was held on December 19, 1919, at the Bland Hotel, with 107 members present. The new club was completed on January 3, 1920, and the charter was presented on April 8, 1920. The 124 charter members were a diverse group of Raleigh men who came together with the common interests of fellowship and community service.
Charter Members - Click Here